Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving




We're going to be taking some time off the rest of this week as we do the traditional Thanksgiving thing.  We'll pick things up Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.  Of course we'll break away from the food table though if anything important comes over the transom.   For me the most important thing will be spending time with family and having my bride and three children together from all parts of the country.

It has certainly been an eventful year and I hope {as I suspect many of you do as well} that 2018 is filled with less drama and divisiveness in this country.  In that vein I'm going to leave you with something I wrote last year around this time.  

"And finally, contrary to what you may read at other places or see on TV, I believe that we as Americans have much more in common than what we perceive as our differences.  We may not agree on the best way to get to certain places but I believe we all for the most part want to get to the same destination.  It is my hope that we remember that in the coming months and years.  Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  It is the most American holiday with traditions that extend as far back as the first European colonists and was thrust onto our national consciousness by President Lincoln during our most terrible of wars.  No matter how you feel about the election, and in particular if you are feeling negative or scared remember if we can live through and recover from our Civil War then we'll probably get through this.  Whether you are elated about the election results or depressed or perhaps even indifferent then know through whatever lens you view the outcome, America has dealt with better or worse Presidents and survived."

Someone who seems to agree with me is Politico's Ken Stern.  In that vein please go read his excellent article, "Americans Aren't As Divided As You Think".  

Until after the break I want to wish each and every one of you a Happy Thanksgiving!  May your travels be safe if you're going over the river and through the woods to Grand Ma's house, your belly's full of laughter brought by family and that the rest of 2017 is a wonderful year!  

God Bless!